Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My little bundle of joy


How immensely gratifying is the experience of being a mother!! When I  learnt that my first little bundle of joy was to arrive,I couldn`t stop jumping with joy. I was ecstatic with happiness!

 We shared our news with our family and friends and with every congratulatory message that came to us my joy just doubled and tripled. But the joy soon turned to agony as the complications started setting in. I was advised complete bed rest. Soon I was also diagonsed with gestational diabetes. I had to make my daily trip to the hospital every morning to be pricked with insulin for the rest of my gestational period. I had a huge craving for sweets but was strictly told to keep off it.

The months of waiting  were agonising. I was told that babies of diabetic mothers are unusually large and have to be taken care of in an NICU setup for sometime after birth. I was very scared. The day finally arrived and I went to the hospital with my hubby in tow. By some miracle or by some divine intervention, the baby was normal in size but had very low blood sugar levels. He was placed in the incubator with a glucose drip running down his tiny hand. Every day the drip site would be changed and he would have a prick in a different hand or feet every day.It was heart wrenching to see my little one bandaged and lying in the incubator.

 It was even more painful not to be able to pick up my baby in my arms,not to be able to kiss his tiny forehead and not to be able to feed him. After eight painful days,my little fighter was ready to go home with us. It was such a relief to touch him and hold him for the first time ever! All the pain and agony of the past nine months was forgiven and forgotten.

We decided to name this tiny bundle joy -Harshvardhan-the one who increases happiness. 

2 comments:

  1. very sweet post, i can imagine your frustration at not being able to hold your baby after he was born. We all take that for granted don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read his name "Harshvardhan", it invoked smile. Catchy narrative of the emotion of a mother, who is unable to hold her new born.

    ReplyDelete

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person..deep gratitude for those who have lighted the flame within me!! your comments will be appreciated..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...