Sunday, February 12, 2012

The sunset..

An idyllic evening.

A picturesque boathouse.

Calming backwaters.

As the boathouse gently wades through the waters making a slurring sound it has a calming effect on my mind.

Seems more like a paradox, a troubled mind and the calming waters.

The boathouse itself giving the feeling of being encapsuled in a cocoon, hidden from view yet with an open window to the world outside. The waters slowly hit the cocoon in orchestrated motion, as if trying to beckon the worm inside to venture out.




Water hyacinth scattered everywhere.

Clogging the water, making survival for other life forms difficult. Neither fish nor other plants,none can really win the battle with the weed.

Beautiful purple flowers on the exterior, could deceive anyone. Appearances are deceitful, I thought, or are they? I thought of the weed that clogged my mind. The thoughts that had made survival of other nobler thoughts difficult.

Contemplation was leading me nowhere, so I dropped the idea and decided to concentrate on the serenity outside.


The boatman decided to dock, he had no permission to row beyond sunset.

Ahh! sunset, it first caught my eye only after the boatman had made a mention of it.

I alighted from the boat and walked to end of the groove nearby. And then I saw it. The huge ball of flame. Just as it was about to drown itself into the serene waters below.



A vibrant orange colour, the igniter of passion, signifying zest for life, enthusiasm, unending energy, fun, informality, friendship, open-mindedness. It drew my attention to being liberal and unconventional. And all that I thought it to be was going down. It slowly began its descent downwards, till I saw the last of it.


The orange sky with its jewel was all but gone, and was now growing pink and purple. Ominous as it seemed, it reflected the colour of the flowers of the water hyacinth I had seen all around.

But there was something ethereal about what I was seeing. It was beautiful to the level of intoxication. It almost took my breath away. It seemed to say, that beauty and nobility will remain even after everything has faded into nothingness.


I sat on the moist grass below and cogitated on the events that had unfolded that day. The reason why God had chosen for me to be here rather than anywhere else. On this boathouse, wading through the backwaters, among mats of water hyacinth and finally bringing it to a climax, the pristine sunset with all its after glow.

I suddenly felt light as if I had drowned all the complexities into those very waters. Light dawned on me before it could on the dark horizon. And I walked back to the boathouse with a proverbial 'spring in my step and song in my heart'.


It was yet another new morning and the sky was blue again.

21 comments:

  1. Oh.. beautifully written. So serene! And lovely pictures too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raj..I am happy that u liked it.. I had taken these pics in Allepy.

      Delete
  2. i never been on a houseboat in-spite of oh so many trips to god's own country! so envy u there :)

    sunsets are very beautiful, aren't they? nice captures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujatha... sunsets are indeed beautiful!! love ur blog!!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome writing! :) The photographs are breath taking. I added you to my favorite blogs list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sujana...am honoured!! inspires me do do better..

      Delete
  4. Girl, it's time ur writings hits the books, man what r the publishers doing, missing out something precious.
    Excellent composition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks...!! that really made my day!! hey if im not wrong, this is jakes right?

      Delete
  5. Oh this is really beautiful- each of the pictures were amazing and the running commentary really added to the beauty. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment Anjuli!! Allepy is so beautiful, that words fall short...

      Delete
  6. Lovely...breathtakingly beautiful:) I loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome sunset pictures and a sweet write up :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice write up. This seems to be somewhere in Kerala? Which place exactly is this? Sad to see the water hyacinth. Unfortunately, this exotic species is a bane of our inland water bodies. Did you see large areas covered by it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @amit sir: Thank u! it is not for nothing that they call it god's own country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ghazala: what the yes could see were even more breathtaking! thank u!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sabyasachi: yea, this is Allepy! and yes we could see water hyacinth everywhere...and sadly nothing being done about it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank u! glad u liked it..now u know why I didn't repeat the picture....

      Delete
  13. Amazing pics! Specially the one of the orange ball of fire!
    This boat ride surely seems to be a very interesting one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pics! I love the sunset ones! I can imagine the actual sight must have been even more awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this was lovely the pictures, the words, it felt as if I was living the experience.

    ReplyDelete

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person..deep gratitude for those who have lighted the flame within me!! your comments will be appreciated..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...