Thursday, April 6, 2017

E - 5 downsides to being an Extrovert!



Extroverts come across as that breed of people who look extremely confident, easily become the life of any party, have a large number of friends, and are in general quite likable and fun to be with. But being a social butterfly, risk taker and one who is constantly bubbling with excitement comes with its own downsides! How do I know? Well, how else would I know unless I’m one of these kinds!

Here are 5 downsides to being an Extrovert-

Foot-in-the-mouth syndrome.
Extroverts think later, they act and speak first. As a result of that, they are quite prone to suffer from the F-I-T-M syndrome! There could be a lot of oops moments later, but by virtue of who they are, they also know how to overcome that!

Can be intimidating or annoying.
By their inherent loudness and the tendency to be exceptionally bold and brash, they can come across as intimidating to some and as annoying to others. What an extrovert perceives as fun might cause hurt or irritation to others.

I had joined a new organisation and during the introductions, a colleague asked me, ‘What’s your mothers tongue?’ I understood what he meant to ask me but the grammar freak and extrovert in me decided to go tongue-in-cheek and I answered, ‘pink’. The whole team burst out laughing, but the colleague was clearly not amused!  

Perceived as attention seekers.
Extroverts tend to hog the limelight all the time. They are here, there, everywhere! People, therefore, tend to perceive them as attention seekers. People are also, therefore wary of extroverts.

Lasting relationships are difficult
As a result of the above, extroverts make few lasting relationships. They undoubtedly make tons of friends, but there might be only a few close friendships. It might not take them much time to form a relationship but such a short time is not enough to make it last. It could be a case of ‘too much too soon.’

Get bored easily.
Extrovert need adrenaline rushes to keep them pumping. You lock them in an empty room or leave them in a place where you are expected to just sit or maintain silence, they can freak out. Boredom comes very easily to them if they aren’t occupied with something.


Being an extrovert is ‘Not’ a bad thing. It’s a great gift! But unless you learn where to draw the line, the extroversion could backfire.

Are you an extrovert or an introvert? Do you agree with the above points?




17 comments:

  1. I'm an introvert, but have that first quality too. Sometimes, I talk before thinking and doesn't end well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true Shubhangi. You have definitely identified the traits perfectly. So what am I? Perhaps a mix of both. There are times when I keep to my self and other times when I am outgoing and friendly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an extrovert buddy who's trying hard to not be one for the past few years because of the reasons you so aptly mentioned above lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mothers tongue is pink! Lol :D I can imagine the poor chap's plight :D

    Exams

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I've always thought of myself as an introvert, I think I suffer from all of these, especially foot-in-the-mouth syndrome. I don't think I'm intimidating (I mean, you've met me, so you know this!) but some people have mentioned that they didn't find me approachable at first. How strange!
    Oh, I'd feel sad for your colleague, but that was a kickass reply :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't know what I am! If there is something in between, that would fit m e. While I love talking to people and making friends, I am always apprehensive in the beginning. I may not make the first move, or will take some time to trust and be friends with someone. :)
    Oops! Poor colleague of yours :P
    Thailand Travel Stories at Kohl Eyed Me
    26 Indian Dishes at Something's Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be an introvert for the longest time. At some point of time, being a blogger actually helped me gain confidence to speak as I write. Slowly I think i have evolved into an extrovert.
    Godyears.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree. Agree. Agree.
    I am introvert predominantly, but I often find myself taking group initiatives. Oh and I definitely DO speak without thinking at times.
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ www.mysteriouskaddu.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am an extrovert that can quickly transform into an introvert when I have nothing to do! Now what do you call such specimens?? I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Foot in mouth syndrome is something that I suffer from! And it has made me kick myself way too often. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree with your description. I think I ma more introvert... which has also its downsides, of course.

    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  12. Growing up I used to be an introvert, which is why I could so identify with these points. Intimidating and attention seeking were some of the words i have heard often!

    I love your theme, Shubhangi. Important topics handled in such an interesting way!
    Mayuri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my God! For the first time i'm feeling bad for being an extrovert! A second with a few of them really well!

    Cheers
    BoisterousBee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not sure if am an extrovert or introvert. I could be a bit of both depending on how I feel in that particular situation. :) I can imagine the look on your colleague's face when you said Pink. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 'Pink' ha ha ha ha :D As an introvert, I can assure you I'd have done the same thing. As for the few friends, the same is actually true of introverts. We can only have a few close friends although we can have many connections.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh...God...I am all these and more! Foot in the mouth...I perennially suffer from this disease

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep switching between being extrovert and introvert ... sometimes I doubt if I suffer from multiple personality disorder :P Even being introvert I get into F I T M situation :P Loved "pink" answer ... hilarious :D

    ReplyDelete

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person..deep gratitude for those who have lighted the flame within me!! your comments will be appreciated..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...