Tuesday, April 18, 2017

O - 5 reasons why you shouldn’t Overwork yourself.


No one really has a 9-5 job anymore! Irrespective of whether you are an IT professional, marketing executive, doctor, banker, a teacher or a housewife, the one thing that’s common is exhaustion due to overwork. Every employer is looking at how productive the employee is, every home maker is looking at what extra can be done or has to be done in order to push through the day and in general everyone is slaving their behinds off overworking, till it kills them. The Japanese have a word for it - Karoshi - which translates to, death due to overwork.

But working those extra hours, slogging away till you fall down dead is not really a great way of living, isn't it? 

Here are 5 reasons why you shouldn’t overwork yourself.


Is work all there is to life?

Whether you work at home or at the workplace, remember that work is only one part of your life. There are several other things that make your life complete - your family, spouse, parents, family, interests, hobbies, and travel. Making one part of your life seem like your entire life, is like just living 10% of your life, and neglecting to live the rest. Just like it is important to eat a proper ratio of carbs, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals in order to have a healthy body, it is important to play, relax, and enjoy along with the work that you do.

Live before it's too late!

If you continue to neglect all other parts of your life, they will start neglecting you too. The kids grow up before you have spent enough time with them, the parents are no more around to share in your happiness and grief, the spouse and friends move on with their lives, and finally you are too old to travel or even pursue your hobbies. Remember that song by Doris Day? Well, listen to it here!


It takes a big toll on your health.

Overworking is stressful. To stay relevant in the rat race, you not only have to be productive but also increase your productivity. All this leads to a chronic stressful condition. Soon, it manifests as panic attacs, heart disease, obesity, insomnia, depression, back aches, headaches, stroke etc. Your appetite is affected, sleep patterns are affected and the dearth of exercise and relaxation takes a big toll on your health. Eat well, exercise, sleep well. These are as important as working hard.


If not now, when?

What use are the money, fame, and name you have earned if you have not spent them well? Whom are you saving it for?
 Statistics say that most people who spend their lives overworking, die with more than 90% of their wealth unused in their lifetime.

A friend of mine has a three-storied bungalow which employs several servants for its upkeep. In addition to maintenance expenses, they also pay a huge amount as EMI. The couple are successful in their respective jobs but hardly have time to eat and very little time to spend in their own homes! It makes me wonder for whom they are working so hard for? 


Let's not die with regrets.

No one wants to die with regrets. Imagine being someone who's spent the entire life just working, unable to enjoy their hobbies and dreams, and in the twilight years, wonder how an entire lifetime has passed by. Why die with unachieved dreams, unfulfilled desires, and unshed inhibitions?

The point of this post is not to tell you to stop working. It is to make you aware that there’s more to life than merely work. Don’t forget to give an equal share of the pie to every aspect of your life. Don’t say, I’ll travel when I retire or I’ll enjoy when I am free of responsibilities. Remember that all these aspects have to be taken care of simultaneously so that you can live a fulfilling and happy life.






13 comments:

  1. I have made a lot of blunders in my career, but one good thing I learnt early is to never over exert myself or give more than what was absolutely required. I'm grateful that I stood up for myself in this regard and definitely happier for it. Granted that it was a lesson I learnt the hard way, but still, learnt it early and learnt it well.
    Speaking of hoarding resources for the sake of others, recently there was a case I read about, where the well earning husband simply refused to part with his money, even for basic necessities like groceries. Made me wonder why he was keeping it all in the bank, instead of using it when required!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right buddy. I have learnt this the hard way and am still bad at it. I always focus on one and end up neglecting the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A healthy work life balance is very necessary It's a deal breaker for me if employers can't honour that. Good list.

    Suzy at Someday Somewhere - Open Doors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karoshi... I like that word.
    Oh yes, we are in a mad rush to pack so many things in a day that we just dont have the time to stand and stare. There's absolutely no time for ourselves and even our families. What's the point of earning if you are not able to enjoy life with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favourite post from you so far :D
    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures
    O is for Obverse. Can you always be sure which side is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said. It's pointless to over exert ourselves and neglect so many important facets of life whether it's our own health or family members. You have elucidated most points really well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very valid, beautifully explained points. After all we all should get to reap what we sow. There's no point in keeping on running and not enjoying the surrounding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice. Very wise. I so agree that people overwork themselves and for what? We can't take any of it with us. I have never been a fan of overworking as it makes people exhausted and much less efficient and damages their health and their relationships. When I worked fulltime I used to hate overtime. Now I am home and enjoying this time as it's all I have and no amount of wealth from overwork is going to give me any more of it. Thanks for the reminders about what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so true, Shubhangi! I think you should write more motivational posts on your blog. They're really good!

    Cheers
    BoisterousBee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh! I have done that! Overwork on weekends, late night! Phew! This is an important post. Thanks for this, Shubhangi :)
    Thailand Travel Stories at Kohl Eyed Me
    26 Indian Dishes at Something's Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the way you stated all the points. It's like a reflection on what we want in life. I hate to be overworked and try real hard to keep everything in balance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree. This challenge is eating into my everyday life and I will definitely not do this next year

    ReplyDelete
  13. A much needed lesson, Princess! One that I learnt the hard way. Just like saying "No".
    Btw, I just published my O post @ A to Z of Happiness: Optimism.
    Do visit it.
    Happy AtoZing!

    ReplyDelete

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person..deep gratitude for those who have lighted the flame within me!! your comments will be appreciated..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...